1. Information Systems (Transport and Logistics, Health, Cultural Heritage)
2. Algorithm Engineering (path algorithms and other combinatorial problems)
3. Technology Enhanced Learning
He (co)authored about 90 scientific papers (h-index=21). The main publications can be found at:
● 2015-2017: Unit Coordinator of the European Project PRIDE - Profiling Relations In Drug trafficking in Europe - no. JUST/2014/JDRU/AG/DRUG/7074, DG HOME - Migration and Home Affairs. Project objective: "Web-based system on drug-profiling and drug-tracking in real time".
● 2016-2017: Coordinator for ICT Area - Ancient Law (ALIR). Information Retrieval and semantic indexing techniques for studying legal texts: sources, lexicons, contexts, written traditions. Multidisciplinary project at the University.
● 2014-2015: Coordinator for ICT Area - Archaic - Roman Law, Archeology & ICT: The Case of the Forum. Multidisciplinary project at the University.
● 2013-2014: Scientific Coordinator (for Univ. "La Sapienza") of a project on “Food Traceability” – an industrial innovation project funded by "Sviluppo Lazio" for the joint use of genetic markers and RFID technologies to ensure the traceability of agro-industrial products .
● 2013-2014: Scientific Coordinator (for Univ. "La Sapienza") of the SPRECware project - Labeling of human biological samples using the Standard PREanalytical Code. This industrial innovation project funded by "Lazio Development" is aimed at the realization of ICT tools and solutions developed to promote the adoption of the "SPREC" coding for the collection and exchange of samples between biological banks networks and research centers. More information at: http://www.sprecware.org
● 2011-2014 (39 months): Principal Investigator of the research project funded by EACEA Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency): eLF-eLearning Fitness, no. 511669-2010-LLP-KA3-KA3MP. The project, which will last three years, has a budget of 667 KEuro co-financed 75% by the Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency ( EACEA ) under the Lifelong Learning Programme - Call for Proposals 2010 Key Activity 3, Information and Communication Technologies.
The ELF project, with 19 partners and 42 associated partners, has the following objectives:
1. the realization of an eLearning platform for fitness instructors based on EQF (European Qualification Framework)
● 2012: Coordinator of a “technical table” on "Information Technologies" within an initiative for the Lazio Region, promoted by University "La Sapienza" of Rome to provide stakeholders with research, technological development and innovative ideas for the good governance of waste disposal for the protection of public health, the environment and cultural heritage. The results of this initiative are published in a monograph [NP13]. http://www.aracneeditrice.it/aracneweb/index.php/pubblicazione.html?item=9788854860018
● 2011-2012: Member of two working groups of the Italian chapter of BBMRI - Biobanking and Biomolecular Resources Research Infrastructure, coordinated by the Istituto Superiore di Sanità. http://www.bbmri-eric.it
● 2010: Participation – Study for supporting the preparation of the impact assessment on “e-Maritime Initiative”, developed for the European Commission, Directorate - General Energy And Transport (Tenders No MARE/2010/05)
● 2006 -- 2010: Participation – FREIGHTWISE – Management Framework for Intelligent Intermodal Transport, EC contract no: TREN-06-FP6TR-S07-60148, DG Transport and Energy (TREN): the project aims at creating a support tool for integrated multimodal supply-chain planning and definition of European freight transport policies. https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/85651_en.html
● 2008-2010: Participation – Project “Osservambiente”. The project, promoted by Nergal s.r.l., with a grant from Regione Campania, has the goal of developing an Environmental Monitoring System, which integrates territorial and urban elements in order to provide an innovative tool for the governance of the territory monitoring, planning of interventions and verification of results.
● 2008-: He cooperates with IRCCS “San Raffaele Pisana” of Rome in several projects efforts concerning interoperability and sustainable quality management in Biobanks.
● 2006-2009: A Portal for the Technological District of the Aerospace, funded by Filas (Finanziaria Lazio)
● 2004 -- 2008: Participation – SAFETYNET – Building the European Road Safety Observatory, EC contract no: TREN-04-FP6TR-S12.395465/506723, DG Transport and Energy (TREN): the objective of the project is to build the framework of a European Road Safety Observatory, which will be the primary focus for road safety data and knowledge. http://www.erso.eu/
● 2006-2008: Coordinator of a Research Unit of the MIUR Project (PRIN-2005) entitled “Model for Multidisciplinary Collaborative Design in Architecture” on the specific topic “A Software Platform to support the Collaborative Architectural Design”.
● 2006-2007: Participation – Logistics Outsourcing in an Industrial Districts, funded by ICE – Istituto Nazionale per il Commercio Estero (National Institute for Foreign Trade)
● 2006: Scientific Coordinator of a contract funded by IRPPS-CNR (Institute for Research on Population and Social Policies, of the National Research Council) as part of the “Scenario” Project. This project, funded by MIUR (Ministry of Instruction, University and Research) in the Special Fund for Applied Research, developed a system that provides tools for decision support in order to plan action on the ground and assess the cultural, social, economic, environmental impact and priorities.
● 2000-2003: ALCOM-FT (Algorithms and Complexity for Future Technologies), 5FP IST-FET Programme, no. IST-1999-14186.
● 1997-1999: ALCOM-IT (Algorithms and Complexity - Information Technology), Esprit Long Term Research Project no. 20244.
● 1995-1998: Coordinator of a Research Unit in a Special Project funded by CNR (National Research Council) on “Mobility, security, allocation of resources in telecommunications networks”.
● 1995-1998: Coordinator of three contracts funded by National Agency ENEA (Ente Nazionale Energie e Ambiente), Centro Ricerche della Casaccia (Department ERG-SIRE - Integrated Systems for Energy Saving), on “Information Systems for Management and Planning of Urban Mobility”.
● 1995--: Coordinator of several local research projects funded by Università di Roma “La Sapienza” on various topics, including: “Dynamic and Distributed Algorithms”, “Management of information structures”, “Algorithms for the management of urban mobility”, “Collection and Analysis of Clinical Data with Inferential Data Mining Techniques”.
● 1994-1995: Coordinator of the course “Managing Design of Software Applications”, co-organized by the University of L'Aquila, and funded by the European Social Fund (ESF).
● 1993-1994: Coordinator of a Research Unit at University of L'Aquila of the National Project “Efficiency of Algorithms and Design of Information Structures” (MURST 40%).
● 1992 —: Cooperation with government agencies, including: Ministry of Finance, Customs Agency, Interministerial Committee for Economic Policies (CIPE), Region Lazio, Region Abruzzo, Province of Chieti, City of Terni.
● 1992-1995: ALCOM II (Algorithms and Complexity), ESPRIT BRA, Project no. 7141.
● 1989-1991: ALCOM (Algorithms and Complexity), ESPRIT BRA, Project no. 3075.